Friday, January 1, 2010

Too Old To Be a Cougar



It's New Year’s Day and I find myself a little fuzzy headed from the late night festivities. Movement is very difficult and deep thought is out of the question so I do something I almost never do, that is watch daytime television. We are staying with friends and it is raining, most everything is closed and I am ready for a change in scenery from all of the touchdowns and tackling in the next room. My hostess has recorded the talk show Ellen from earlier in the day, so I kick back and tune in. The musical guest is a kid named Paolo Nutini. Hmmm. Well you know that anybody with a name like this will immediately spark my attention, so I resist the urge to go into the other room and scream, “Hey a-----les, just how much football does anybody need to watch in one day anyway?” and I focus my attention on the entertainment at hand.

It turns out that this kid is really good. I mean shiver up your spine, makes you want to get up and dance good. He has a unique sound that I can’t quite put my finger on, so after dinner while the boys are watching football game number four (please kill me now), I go to the web to do a little research. Paolo Nutini is a cute little Scottish-Italian with a voice that can make you melt. He has been on the music scene for just a couple of years now, mainly in Europe and has recorded everything from his original tunes to remakes of hits by Sly and the Family Stone, Cher, Amy Winehouse and Louis Armstrong to name a few. The foregoing list should give you some idea of the range and variety of the music. My favorites so far are “Last Request” and “New Shoes.”

Now just when I am starting to get over the whole turning fifty thing, I have to go and find something like this. It makes me want to quit my job, get a bunch of Botox, liposuction, hair extensions, and start going to concerts again. I still have it in me, I know I do. I brought in the New Year dancing on four inch heels and I didn’t fall down once. So this poses an interesting question. Just how old is too old to be a cougar? Is forty the cut-off, forty-five?

So I jump up from the sofa to launch into some aerobic exercises when I realize that my feet still really hurt. It seems that I am experiencing a new phenomenon, the dancing in high heels hangover. This occurs after a night of drinking and dancing, sometimes simultaneously, and will result in both your head and your feet feeling like they have been pounded with a sledgehammer the following day. After a few minutes of extreme discomfort I decide that reinventing myself into a cougar may have to wait and that maybe buying some more reasonable shoes, drinking less wine and getting a little more exercise should be on the list of resolutions for the coming year.

Even so tomorrow I am going music shopping to buy some more Paolo Nutini and I will listen to it regularly to remind me to stay young at heart and to dance more often. (And I was just kidding about giving up the shoes.)

7 comments:

Blogger said...

My dear I assure you Cougars come in all heel sizes, shapes and designer brands. The positive thing here is you have arrived at the cougar state of mind that says to get out there and go for it. Its not about men, sex or trying to be young again but rather about confidence to be alone when you choose, coupled when you want, look, feel your best at all times, showing you have arrived and earned your right to be who you are today.

mabingham said...

I had to laugh! I could have been writing this. I discovered Paolo Giovanni Nutini in January of 2007 on a rerun of Austin City Limits. I am addicted. I bought "These Streets", listened to nothing else, joined every site related to Paolo, and started spending all my free time "Paoloing". Next came "Sunny Side Up"-amazing! Then I finally saw Paolo live in Atlanta after 18 months of waiting. That was it! A month later I flew to Ft. Lauderdale (profile pic of Paolo and me taken there) to see him again, then to Orlando the next day to see him there. If I could have, I would have gone to every other show before he left the states. And, I am going to London in April to see him. I did quit my job in September (not because of Paolo!), and I will have to tell you in private email about the "botox", etc. I am 53 and Paolo brought me back to life. I had not been to a concert in years and now I want to do nothing but follow Paolo Nutini and the Vipers. If you haven't already, check out his website at www.paolonutini.com. Warning: you may become addicted. Would love to connect with you on facebook, email, etc. Turning 50 is a life changer for sure. (Oh, and I came back from Florida with a tattoo just like Paolo's. My husband thinks I have lost my mind!)Jaime is so right-that is what it is about!

J Paglia said...

Thanks girls for your thoughts and for reading. I did buy the new Paolo CD and love it. I have listened to it over and over.

"Cougar state of mind", I love it.

Anonymous said...

You cannot eat your cake and have it.

Anonymous said...

This is my first time visit at here and i am truly pleassant to read everthing at one place.
My blog post :: know memes

Blogger said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Blogger said...

But Anonymous....You surely can HAVE your cake and eat it too. That's what being a Cougar is all about :)